1.10.2008

I lift my eyes up...

to the heavens, where does my help come from. My help comes from You, Maker of heaven... I hope you remember that worship song from the 90's, that proclaims the truth of Psalm 121. If you don't remember it, no worries, but that's the song that came to my mind as I came back into my empty apartment a few minutes ago after sending Claudia off to the airport in the taxi. She's been here for two weeks, and we've had a great time, even if it's been mainly focused around work and the 25 minute scooter commute I take each way every day. In the last 9 working days ('cause today is a working day, but she's gone now..uh), we had one day off (New Year's Day), and she came to work with me 6 of the other 7 days. She filed my lesson plans that had been gathering dust in my drawer for a month, she entered my test scores for all my classes which will make my future work lighter in that area, she assisted my co-workers with all kinds of things, and she made some cool bulletin boards to decorate my sad, drab classroom. All the kids loved her and my co-workers now like me better because of her. (They never expressed interest in coming to America to visit me, but they're all looking at flights now so they can go visit Claudia.) My roommates loved her and want to come visit her too, and my friend, Julie was wanting to give her a last minute tour of the city this morning before her flight, so clearly she won her over as well. I told Claudia that she made me look good, but also gave a good impression of Christians and of Americans, which is not easy to do these days in many places. All this to say, we had a great time together, and although I know I'll be in SF in 3 short weeks, I got sad to see her go this morning. It's just a reminder that I'm here without my San Francisco community, and that reality is still often hard for me to swallow, even after 21 weeks (but who's counting). I came in the door, and immediately started singing that song, "I lift my eyes up, to the heavens, where does my help come from..." because I know I cannot face even one of these next weeks in my own strength. My own strength was pretty much gone here within the first few weeks, and I've been mostly exhausted ever since (thank God for caffeine!) Yet today, I have to face four classes and begin packing for us to move this weekend. My roommates and I are getting a fourth, we're moving across the road in our huge apartment complex, and I'll save about half the rent I've been paying the last several months. This is an answer to prayer, even if the timing is rushed for me. I go to church with these great South African folks who are here teaching (you've seen their pictures before) and we'll all be living together for the next season of my life in Taiwan. So, we're packing and moving this weekend since two of them leave for home next weekend and won't return for 3-4 weeks (luckies).

So, today is Friday, and I'm ready for the weekend. I've included some photos and a couple of video's. One of the video's is from my A8 class this week. It's not great but I hope you can make out the sentences they are reading. I couldn't resist writing them out of the choices of their predetermined spelling words. (I don't choose their spelling, it comes from a phonics book. You can't make these things up!) They get five words each class session and they are usually related in some way. This list included words with "nk" endings like sink, think, junk, trunk, and skunk. How would you write sentences with these words? Check it out.
There's also a video of me, Claudia and Julie, meeting up for a late dinner after work last night. Just a local dive that serves Japanese style food for cheap.

I'm looking forward to being back in the states for a few days the first two weeks of February. One of the reasons is for the great joy of getting to meet Olivia Anne Tafao, born February 8th in San Francisco to my friends Stacey and Elijah. I haven't seen a picture of her yet (hint, hint) but I'm betting she's a beauty! Congratulations to the Tafaos!


I hope this finds you all well and taking on the new year with a sense of excitement and purpose. If the purpose part hasn't dawned on you quite yet, take a moment to look at Saddleback Church's website. God is really working within that church and through their leadership, and it's always fun to watch God work. You might even get inspired.


Gotta get on the scoot for the commute, so I'll close.


Until next time, LC from TW

Psalm 121 (NIV)

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;

4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.


A8 trying to say the sentences I wrote for them.

At Teppanyaki Thursday night.

Erin and Claudia acting up at TGI Fridays.


Me and Sharon at Fridays.

Annaloe, me, Mari and Claudia.

Me and Claudia in front of my apartment.

3 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

So great to hear your time with Claudia was sweet AND that she endeared you to more people.

MezzoCO said...

OH. my. gosh. I'll have you know I just spewed the carrot I was eating all over myself after listening to your kids. Junk in their trunks, indeed - hilarious! Hey, whatever helps them learn :) Katy D.

Irene Morris said...

Makes me hungry for teppanaki! That's good stuff. I also find strength in Psalm 121. Those are some great verses, but I don't remember the song.