11.14.2007

"Hope Faith Love"

This will be quick, but had to share a couple of significant things about yesterday. I was asked to prepare the children at my branch for singing a few Christmas songs for the residents of the apartment complex surrounding our school. They are apparently planning a Christmas party and want the children to sing at it. My boss asked me to do this so I'm happy for the opportunity to put "Christ" in Christmas in a country that doesn't even have December 25th off from work because they are not a Christian culture. So, yesterday I started teaching E2 (my 8 year olds that are pretty bright for the most part) "Happy Birthday Jesus" which you may know from The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. It's a sweet song and full of truth for children to sing. It lends itself well to teaching children here because they all know when their birthday is, they all know how to sing Happy Birthday, and they all know about Christmas even if they think it's about Santa Claus. I have to admit when they sang the first few lines of the song, I was a little emotional hearing them sing it. "Happy Birthday, Jesus. I'm so glad it's Christmas. All the tinsel and lights make the holiday nice but it's all about You." Please pray for me as I attempt to teach the other classes this song and "What Child is This?" as well as "O Holy Night". I found some cool children's versions on ITunes and downloaded them for us.

The other significant conversation from yesterday happened last night. I teach one adult class of three women and I enjoy it very much although I don't like that it's my last class of four on Wednesdays. I'm just tired by then so it takes a lot out of me. However, God threw me a bone last night when Jennifer asked me why I wear the ring on my arm. Her English is not great and what she meant was the rubber bracelet I have worn since leaving Nicaragua this summer. It's tie-dye and has the words Hope Faith Love on it. I got to explain what it means, why I put it on, and why I still wear it for all three of the women. As I finished the explanation, they were all three smiling and nodding as if to say they understood what I meant about loving God and being motivated to serve God to the orphans because of God's love for us. I pray they are curious enough to ask more questions. Actually the conversation ended with them asking me if I wanted children and me telling them I have 90 that I'm with every week and that's enough. Then one of the women told us that she is expecting another child. She's not sure she's happy about it, so I'm hoping to have more opportunity to talk with her.

Thanks for listening. Now it's off to a busy Thursday.
(BTW, I had a great weekend with Lucy and her family last weekend in Danshui which is outside of Taipei. She was a great hostess and spoiled me, although I only ate Chinese food and I'm pretty sure my stomach is still mad at me.)


Until next time, LC

4 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

What a great opportunity! In both situations; and you nabbed them as you should have. Thanks for sharing these stories of your life with us.

Zach said...

i am inspiried by your blog.. glad you are teaching the children O Holy Night:)
My favorite:p
When will we see you again?

Zach said...

man.. and now i can only think of christmas music.. i love it! i just put up my tree a few days ago!

MezzoCO said...

Hey Larissa - - Just wanted to give you a shout out here! Been thinking about you & praying for you!! Happy Thanksgiving :) Katy Daniel