11.23.2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm thankful this morning for such great people in my life that have responded to my requests for prayer for my Mom and many other concerns I've mentioned on the blog. My Mom felt well enough this week to fix a Thanksgiving meal for my brother, Paul and his wife, Lisa, who recently moved back to Oklahoma after living in Washington for the past 9 years or so. She and Dad were so happy to have them come to celebrate the holiday with them, which makes me happy since I'm here and couldn't be there. She also felt well enough today to make a trip up to Oklahoma City with Dad to see my other brothers, Jay and Joe, and my sister, Karen and all of her family. So, I know she'll be tired tonight but her heart will feel good that she was able to see all of her kids except me, (and I've talked to her on the phone several times.) Physically, she tells me she's in a lot of pain and doesn't sleep very well still, and I'm sure she is exhausted after being around so many people. It seems that the current strategy for dealing with her illness is taking pain killers and some other medicine that is supposed to help restore some of the feeling in her extremities. I know she's discouraged a lot, so I am so thankful for your prayers and continued prayers as she goes through this season.

Spending the holidays in a country that doesn't celebrate them has always been a little strange as you probably know or can imagine. Like Thanksgiving Day...a very important day in America, duh, but obviously not anywhere else. (I just remembered my friend in Scotland telling me about shopping in New York City over Thanksgiving week a few years ago and how many of the shopkeepers would say with surprise, "You don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Scotland? Why?" To which her reply would vary depending on her patience and mood.) In Taiwan, people know about Thanksgiving, but of course they don't know what the reason is for the holiday. Not unlike me knowing that they have a "Tomb-sweeping" Day and not knowing why. But, on Thanksgiving Day at my school, my boss arranged for some of my students to write little Thank You notes to their teachers. I had enjoyed reading a few of mine and was touched that they would make an effort to recognize a day that they don't celebrate, but yesterday, I got the best one from my little guy in whom I've placed a lot of faith for the future. I've talked about him before on the blog, his name is Lee-Sheen and he's 8 years old. His card to me said, "Thank you, Teacher Larissa. You make me like English. I love you! Happy Holidays! Lee-Sheen" Isn't that a sweet thing for the wee one to say? I'm thankful for him and several others with sparks in their eyes that make it feel worthwhile putting so much effort into my job day in and day out. Pray for Lee-Sheen and his family when you think about them. (I also have a good relationship started with his mother.)

Well, I have to keep this short since I'm going to Taichung today to have a "real" Thanksgiving meal with my American friends, Otey and Cheryl and their three kids. I will hopefully take some pictures of the experience and post again this weekend. Let me know how you're doing as well. I love getting your email responses to my posts and hearing all about your lives as well.

Until next time,
LC

1 comment:

Sharona said...

Tomb-Sweeping Day?? Can I celebrate that one, too?? Just tell me when, and the party is THROWN.