12.05.2007

Snow Cake...

not an Academy Award winner, but still incredibly endearing, I just finished watching this movie because it's due back at the shop by noon. (In Taiwan, the movie boxes are often covered with Chinese writing and we English speakers don't have a clue what we're renting. Such was the case for this film.) Sigourney Weaver (where has she been anyway?) turns in an amazing performance as an autistic adult living independently. It's heart-wrenching and thought-provoking and even profound, so if you're in that mood, check it out. It's got Alan Rickman as well, if you dig his broodiness and deeply-felt renderings.

I also finally saw La Vie En Rose La Mome, the true life story of the French singer, Edith Piaf, and it was an amazing film as well. I liked it because of the lead actresses performance. Wow! What a lesson in the contribution quirky people can make to the world, eh?

With the movie review in the bag, I move on to other thoughts...

Hmmm...don't really have any. Well, maybe just a few.

It's Thursday. I don't really like Thursdays. They are long and I am reminded of how much energy each class takes and how little I have to offer the ones that come later in the day. B5 gets me last at 7:35, and it's a class with the deck stacked against it...7 boys, and one girl, all 12-15 years old, most with poor reading ability and serious self confidence issues, which makes the 90 minutes tick past at a snails pace at times. However, we manage to get through. At my school, the Chinese teacher assistants call each of the students twice a semester to ask them questions in English and to assess their skills. In these conversations, they often ask if the student has any comments or requests for the teacher. To my utter surprise, B5's last telephone interviews reaped some very interesting and encouraging thoughts for me to ponder, so I now don't hate it as much. How's that for a positive outlook? Seriously, though, it's not unbearable. If it were, I wouldn't try to bear it. Life being short and all!

So, Mari's just come back from the hospital where she went this morning to get her remaining stitches out of her leg. She's now watching the last of Snow Cake, as we had both started it last night before bed. I just heard Sigourney Weaver use a made up word in a scrabble game and I remember I really liked it. Dazlious! See the movie and let me know if you like the word too. (And if you don't want to see the movie but you want to know the meaning of the word and how to introduce it to the English language, let me know and I will explain it to you. I'm an English teacher. ;) (Oh, and another word from the film..."eyebrowsing", when you're looking for new glasses. Hee hee!)


Gotta run for now. But, thanks for checking in. Until next time, LC

1 comment:

Stephanie C. said...

Does that mean that B5 gave you lots of compliments? The ones you deserve?