9.16.2008

"No one in the world can be my best partner...

except the Dio." This is painted on the side of one of the scooters here in Taiwan. It cracks me up the misuse and abuse of the English language in a country desperate to learn but not approaching it the right way. Many people have just enough language to be dangerous.

So, I was at the party on Saturday night (read previous entry for more info), and met this guy named, Thomas. He's been in Taiwan for 5 years, so he's well acclimated, but was cracking me up 'cause he brought up the ridiculous sayings they write on the side of their scooters. It's the manufacturers that do it, and they are funny. I remembered that when I first got here, I cracked up daily at the things I read...before I got angry (some of you have been sending your concerns for me. I think I'm getting a little better.) So, I dug up a card that I had written all these things on about a year ago when I first arrived. Here are a few things I found humorous on the side of the scooters parked near mine.

"Fuzzy: The scooter of wind called 125"
This is a scooter called Fuzzy 125, and someone destroyed the English language with this comparison.

"Sniper 50: Just for Windcutting"
At 50cc's, I don't think anyone's cutting wind. (Breaking wind maybe, but not cutting it.)

"The best racer you are from now on"
Wow...what can I say. Send more teachers. I'm outtie here.

Until next time,
LC from the TW

1 comment:

Stephanie C. said...

You have to see the humorous side or else you'd go crazy. Glad you can do that.