10.29.2007

Monday, Monday...

I woke up Monday morning feeling still full of the cold and not too happy about it. But, I didn't want to call in sick until I really need to, or at least until I could miss one of my hard days (Wednesday, Thursday or Friday), so I went to work and stayed out of the kids faces. For my first class (A8 is the class that I videoed weeks ago singing Happy Birthday to Kim), I was greeted by Sunny, the future model, dressed in some crack up clothes, so I had to figure out a way to take a picture of her without asking. We've been working on this song which they learned in Chinese but we translated it to English. So, I had them sing their song, and I video taped it. Then, I got cracked up at myself because I realized I have a Sunny and a Claire in this class. Sounds like...Sonny and Cher, but my children bear little resemblance to the once famous couple except that Sunny is a "Cher" type little girl with the long hair and the fashion sense (or lack of)!

I'll tell one more quick story on these kids and then I'm off to start my Tuesday. You can imagine how difficult it is to maintain one's patience in a classroom where you have multiple voices simultaneously saying the same thing to you many times within each 90 minute period, right? Well, all of my children (all 90 of them), have been taught to say "Teachuh, I am finishee." Don't ask me why they like to say "finishee" instead of "finished" but they like it and they all say it. So, the other day, I had an Oklahoma moment, where I taught them to say some incorrect English. I taught this class to say "Teacher, I am done." Only they couldn't really say it. They were saying, "Teacher, I am dumb." So, I corrected them and said, "Say, done. With an "n" at the end, say done!" Then, they said, "Teacher, I am dung." I have to admit, I was sorely tempted to leave it, and I enjoyed a little giggle at this mistake, but I corrected them again. I don't know if all of them are saying it correctly, but they are trying to please me so that works for me as their teacher and it works for my patience to hear a little variety. They can learn later that saying "done" means you are fully cooked and ready to be eaten. ;)

Hope you enjoy the video. Sorry, I turned the camera at the end. I was trying to "fill the frame". (Shout out to my friend Glen Morris who taught me that!)

Until next time,
this is Taiwan to me!


2 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

So cute and I happen to love stripes!
So, no shoes are worn in the classroom? How bout the teachuh?

Sharona said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I love and appreciate your gross manipulation of a really funny situation. "Sunny! Go stand next to Claire!" This is too good...I'm totally addicted to your blog now.