9.16.2007

"Counting the Cost" was

the title of our sermon this morning at Victory English Fellowship here in Hsinchu. It was taken from the passage in Luke 14 verses 25-33, one of the hard teachings of Christ, where He says, "Whoever comes to me cannot be my disciple unless he loves me more than he loves his father and his mother,...(lots of other people)...and himself as well." Our pastor wanted us to be reminded of what it means to be a believer in Jesus. It made me think of what it's "cost" me to come here, and why I did it. I have to admit that although my main motive for being here is to please God with my life, sometimes I know that I'm here because I love adventure (which is how God made me) and I want to make some money teaching ESL. But, whatever my motive, the cost is the same. On day's like today, it feels a little more costly, because today's my parents anniversary...Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! (pictured below in July at Dad's 50th ordination year celebration)...and on special days it just makes me realize the things I'm missing back in the States. (Don't let me give you the wrong impression. If I was in California, I would not have traveled to Oklahoma for their anniversary today, so that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that on special days, and always on Sundays, I think of being far from family and friends and I miss them.)

However, here I am, and here's where I'm supposed to be, and one of the reasons I know that is because of the way my parents raised me and taught me to live with my eyes open to ways I could be a witness. This week I had a significant and unexpected conversation with one of the people at my school, and it further solidified my reasons for being here. Thanks again for your prayers and your supportive comments. Keep 'em comin'!

Next weekend I will be on a staff trip for Saturday through Monday, so I appreciate your prayers for good conversations and team building.

And, one more time, Happy 56th Anniversary to Mom and Dad! Here's to one more...at least ;)

Until next time,

Larissa

1 comment:

Womack said...

You know that you are missed here as well, but it doesn't hurt to tell ya! I passed by the Depot yesterday, and everytime I do I think of our times there having coffee way back when. Isn't it good when those moments of confirmation come that you are exactly where you're supposed to be? Press on, friend!