9.26.2007

Touring...Chinese Style!

Apparently the Chinese are notorious for a certain type of touring. They like to get up very early, go to the airport, fly to an island, get on a bus, go to at least 8 different historical sites, eat Chinese food twice in different but similar looking warehouse style restaurants, before going to the hotel to check in after about a 15 hour day! And that was just DAY 1! Well, that's what happened on Saturday. I had a hard time sleeping the night before and probably nodded off for about two hours when the alarm went off at 4:30. I had to get to the neighboring village of Chutung/Jhudung (I've seen it spelled at least four different ways on official signs) by 6:30 on the scooter. (The distance for readers familiar with the Bay area, would be similar to riding a scooter from Serramonte Mall to the Golden Gate Bridge. For readers in Oklahoma, it would be like riding a scooter from Del City to Moore, without the freeway.) So, I was a weary traveler from the beginning of the day, and with the heat and humidity, I was so TIRED by the time we got to dinner that night. However, my roommate was looking to me for some entertainment on Saturday night and I think she was surprised when I turned the other teachers down on their invitation to go sing Karaoke in the hotel. Instead, we called a couple of the Teacher's Assistants (T.A.'s), two young Chinese girls not long out of college, and they came over for "girl talk". It was fun and we all laughed a lot. It was a good end to a long day. Sunday was much the same as Saturday with the wonderful exception of a 45 minute stop at a huge and deserted beach. (Chinese people here are apparently afraid of the water.) I think the stop was supposed to be much shorter but all the Western teachers took off down the beach splashing in the waves and thoroughly enjoying ourselves. I took a video of Erin and Sam, the two Canadian teachers that arrived with me. I teach with Erin (the one in the yellow shirt) and Sam teaches at the other campus. I hadn't had much of an opportunity to speak with Sam until this weekend, so that was fun. In the video they're wearing a shirt that says Pandy Happy Day (it should say Panda), and it has at least four other English mistakes, including the word "stweet" instead of "sweet". Funny stuff for an English teacher.

As I was walking on that beach for even just a short time, I thought of how blessed I've been this year, to have walked on three beaches in three different countries over the last three months. (Actually it made me tired to think about it.) But what a blessing to be with friends and family in Hawaii in July, Nicaragua in August and now China/Taiwan in September. I loved 'em all, but have to give a shout out to my favorite...Kailua still takes first prize for me! :)

Just a quick thanks to all of you who prayed for me with my roommate situation for the weekend. I didn't have a hard time "living" with her and actually found some compassion for her as I listened to the things she talked about. Yesterday at work she said her father's in the hospital and I think she's really worried about him, so I believe I may have a chance to offer prayer for her. Her name is Sharon, and although she has lived in this area most of her life, her family are from Shanghai in mainland China. It would be great if you could pray for her and her family.
Gotta run for now, but more later.
Until next time,
LC from TW

Cute picture of my boss and her niece.

Me in the waves on Kinmen.
Erin, the Canadian, in the waves on Kinmen Island.



Mike, Karen & Claudia on Kailua Beach in July.

Joe and I on the beach in Nicaragua in August.


Kailua Beach at Sunrise! Wow!


No comments: