9.20.2007

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

Yesterday was Thursday, and on Thursday I teach a full load of classes, some of which are enjoyable ;) Well, I was enjoying the freedom of the borrowed scooter, so I set out to pick up a few goodies on my way to work. (My Chinese colleague, Scarlet graciously loaned me her scooter that she's had for over 12 years but doesn't drive it anymore. She's had so many wrecks, and one of them caused the left hand break handle to curl inward, making a perfect handle!) It's an awesome feeling to know where to go to find things you like when you are new to a country. So, I picked up this yummy iced tea with milk and pearl gummy balls and strapped it to the scooter to ride out to work. (Shout out to all you lovers of the "Quickly" shops in the states. They have them here and many other varieties of drink shops.) I made it through the traffic and negotiated all the obstacles to arrive at work safely, park the scooter and promptly knock the back off of the bike. It only fell a few inches, but it cracked a hole in the bottom of the cup and my yummy tea (which I hadn't taken one sip of) was seeping out the hole and into the bag. There was nothing for a girl to do, but drink it out of the bag, which I did as you can see. I was laughing at myself so much, I had to take a photo and share it with all my peeps.


This is a picture of one of the classes I like on Tuesday and Thursday. It's B3 and this little guy is Gaga. Don't know how he got this name, but alas many things are a mystery. He is very bright and helps me manage the rest of the class, including his silly buddy Max behind him and the child I like to call Slow Stanley on the back left, since he is slower to move than any other child in the class. These guys make me smile, and I wanted to share them with you.

Today, I have a HUGE prayer request. It's Friday, I'm tired and looking at a four class teaching schedule, so that's a concern to start with. But I learned two days ago that my boss will be sitting in on my NIGHTMARE A11 class today. That happens at 4:25 p.m. so if any of you read this before then, please throw some good prayers my way. She will also sit in on the class that follows, A7, but those children are eating out of the palm of my hand since they had a party last class session and they are raring to go to learn some more English. They love "teachuh". ("R"s are hard for second language learners in TW.)

Tomorrow, I need more prayer, as I set off on a three day trip with the rest of the staff. We are flying to an island, Kinmen, very near to China but still in Taiwan's possession...don't understand but I'm going. It will be challenging to be around all these folks for the whole weekend and I heard yesterday I found out I will be rooming with a gal from my office. She speaks great English, but her attitude is sort of crappy. She's not slow to express disdain for others in the office that she doesn't really care for. So, pray that I will have some good opportunities to talk with her and for my energy to stay high enough that my attitude doesn't get crappy.

You guys are great to comment on my blog and to pray for me when you think of it. I can sure tell you're praying...so thanks!

Until next time,
LC from TW

2 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

If your roommate gets your sense of humor at all, you'll be fine. But I'll still pray for you.

Grana said...

You should be fine,just remember NYC! If you could put up with me for a week then you should be able to put up with her for 3 days! I know you can do it! I will be praying for you anywhoo! Your little boys and girls look so cute! Not as cute as your little ones back here though! I get to go spend time with them again next week!
Love and Blessings to you!