9.18.2007

Homeless in a Hurricane and Happy Birthdays

Today was a typhoon day in my county, which is akin to a snow day in the states...nobody goes to work and all the schools are closed. (Typhoon's are like Hurricane's, consult Wikipedia for more info.) Although I was thankful for that, I can't help but think that it's a bummer it didn't happen tomorrow, since I have A11 tomorrow. Alas, it was today. I had a good day and I really shouldn't complain. But...where shall I begin.

Not only are we having a killer typhoon/hurricane, but I'm homeless again! Yesterday when I got to work, there was a message for me to say I would not be able to move into the house I'd planned to move into. Apparently the landlord decided to sell the house and Julie and I are not going to move into it. So, I'm homeless...sort of. Thankfully, I have a place to stay until next Monday, and today, during the typhoon, I went to look at an apartment to share with a South African gal who's been teaching here for 2 and a half years. She goes to my church and works with the youth, and she's got a great personality. All this to say, I will be moving in with her at least in the short term, as little as one month, and as long as four months. I like the place but I'm reserving the right to move for several reasons: the rent is higher than I wanted to pay, Julie and I may be able to move into the house in the future, we may find somewhere else we like, and/or Annaloe (pronounced Annalu) has four months left on her lease and she may wish to move at that time. I'm thankful that I have a place to go to, and it's nice, modern apartment with cool yellow leather furniture. In the words of Jon Lovitz, "jealous?" (shout out to Lisa!)

This brings me to Happy Birthday's, which I owe to my friend Kim, overdue from last Saturday. Kim, just for you, I had my children from A8 sing you a little song and say a few words. (Please disregard the annoyed sound in my voice at the end of the video. Sometimes it's like herding cats.) Follow this link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85INqVnvKI, to meet Lee-Sheen, the very loud and bright boy who's mother is a United flight attendant, Jessie and Juliana who are inseparable, Sunny - the future Miss Taiwan, Ava - otherwise known as sleepy girl or "why am I here?", Roger the fumbler, always messing with his books and/or pencil case, Claire - the raspy voice child who says "Teachuh, teachuh!" like a linebacker, Charles, who rarely understands anything I'm saying, but is very cute, and Leo - I don't think you get to see Leo because the girls all gather around behind me and start squeeling so I cut it off. Well, that's my Monday and Thursday 2:30 challenge. But I like this class. They crack me up. I hope they learn something. Truthfully, I think several of them will be good English speakers one day, so I have hope. Kim, hope your birthday was great. Many happy returns.

Well, that's all from me over here in TW.

Until next time,
Larissa

No comments: