9.14.2007

I WAS living at Falls Creek, but now...

I'm living in Dallas. O.K., for all of you that are confused, I'm still living in Taiwan, but it just SEEMED like Falls Creek, and it just SEEMS like Dallas. Sort of. (There are a lot more Chinese people in Dallas than I had remembered.) You see, yesterday morning I moved from a small town, Chutung, where I frequently felt like I was at youth camp in Oklahoma, the camp I grew up going to (check out Falls Creek Baptist Assembly on the www if you want to learn more), to Hsinchu, which is a city, full of traffic and people, but where I'm housesitting in an apartment complex that's huge and new with a pool outside my front door. (Yes, I know that will impress some of you...Kim...more than it does me.) These standards are all very general and contextual, so let me explain a little further. Chutung is a big town really, about 80,000 people with all a westerner could want, according to the Chinese (because there's a Domino's, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC.) But, it has a small town feel with narrow streets and neon lights only on the main street. At night when I would be walking around after work, I would often feel like I was going back to my cabin at Falls Creek after a long day of bible classes, worship, sports, icee's, hanging out with friends and looking for boys. (O.K., some things haven't changed.) Hsinchu, on the other hand, is a city of about half a million or so and it reminds me of Dallas, only because I once lived in Dallas for a summer with some friends. We shared an apartment that overlooked a pool, the weather was hot, and we had the windows open a lot so we could hear all the sounds of the city. That's where the comparison to Dallas stops. (So all you people that want to explain how Dallas cannot be compared to a much smaller city in Northern Taiwan, can just save your breath.)

So, I moved into the city, only about 15 minutes from my work, 10 minutes from my church, and in another 10 or 12 days, I'll be in my permanent housing, sharing a four story house (4 bedrooms, 3 baths) with a friend from church. The rent is half of what it would normally be, for two reasons...Jacqui's been praying (that's a friend from Temple in SF, thanks, Jacqui!) AND the family that have been living there for 10 years are paying the other half so they can use two rooms for storage. My roommate, Julie, and I don't mind this arrangement, since our rent will then be only about 1/3 of what I paid for my small room in San Francisco. (I'm making you work for those calculations, huh?) Suffice to say, it's a great deal and I'm thrilled.

This morning, I'm off to teach a seminar on worship at a retreat for youth from my church. Many of you remember how difficult it was for me to write the youth bible study curriculum earlier this year...well, it came in handy when I was preparing for this seminar. Matter of fact, my prep lasted about half an hour, since two of those lessons deal directly with the subject of worship. I'm glad I did that...now!

I will check back in later on. As always, thanks for your prayers and comments. Sorry, no pics. I'm using someone else's computer.

Until next time, Larissa

3 comments:

Grana said...

Falls Creek....great memories. Like when Mike and I had to come pick you up and I was wearing 2 pairs of glasses(go figure!) and over shot the exit and ran the car into the median that I didn't see(even though I had on 2 pairs of glasses!)and blew out both tires on the right side of the car!Out in the middle of no where Oklahoma and no tire stores in sight not even a Wally World! Not to mention this was our second trip to come pick you up that day because you were no where to be found the first time we came! Oh well enough of memories!!!I just thought you would like to know I linked your blog to mine! It will make it easier to check up on those cutie patooties!! Thanks for something to read! I tried to call you back this morning and it didn't work! Sorry! I'll try again later! Lots of Love to you! ~Karen

Phara said...

Hope you don't have any "----, what was that?!" moments at this apartment complex. Ahh Dallas...good times!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it freaky to think we were all more than likely at Falls Creek at the same time for years and years, but didn't meet until college? I'm sure the new tabernacle is wonderful, but I must admit I'm sad to see the other one gone! (Not to mention my name carved in ink on so many of the old wooden pews ... hmmmmm)

Sounds like you're having some exciting adventures! Makes sitting here in DALLAS a little boring! ; )

Thanks for all the great stories. I'm always so thankful to hear how God is leading and working in your life. May He bless your every step.

Love to you!!
MMM